|Lesson plan||General recommendations||Intervention objectives||Patient’s objectives|
|Sugar||• Total free sugar not > 10% unless if the glucose level is under control.||
• Educate on various other forms of sugar in food products.|
• Emphasise on homemade foods with less or no sugar.
|• Able to identify and reduce consumption of common food products that are high in hidden sugar.|
|Fruits & vegetables||
• 5–7 servings of fruits and vegetables a day.|
• Fruits and vegetables to contribute natural micronutrients without the need for supplements.
• Consume fruits and vegetables as whole whenever possible.|
• Educate and advocate fruits and vegetables as the main source of vitamins and minerals.
|• Include fruits and vegetables in main meals or as snacks to achieve the recommended servings per day.|
|Eating out habit||• Maintain healthy eating outside home.||
• Encourage to choose sugar-free or sugar-less meals.|
• Keep the total calorie intake low when eating out.
• Reduce consumption of artificial flavouring such as sauces, dressings, salt or sugar when eating out.|
• Learn to pick low calorie foods when dining out.