Skip to main content

Table 3 Study findings on impact of age on NHSHC uptake. AOR = adjusted odds ratio. OR = odds ratio. CI = confidence intervals. UR = uptake rate

From: A systematic review of factors influencing NHS health check uptake: invitation methods, patient characteristics, and the impact of interventions

StudyFindings
Artac et al., 2013 [20]55–64 age-group vs. 40–54 age-group (baseline): AOR = 1.34, 95% CI = 1.11–1.61, p < .050
65–74 age-group vs. 40–54 age-group (baseline): AOR = 2.05, 95% CI = 1.67–2.52, p < .010
Attwood et al., 2016 [19]5% increase in likelihood of uptake with each additional year in age: OR = 1.05, 95% CI = 1.04–1.07, p < .010
Cochrane et al., 2013 [23]Overall effect of age-group: OR = 1.64, 95% CI = 1.51–1.77, p < .001
Coghill et al., 2018 [22]Overall effect of age p < .001
50–59 years vs. ≤ 49 years (baseline): AOR = 1.36, 95% CI = 1.21–1.53
60–69 years vs. ≤ 49 years (baseline): AOR = 2.19, 95% CI = 1.80–2.68
70+ years vs. ≤ 49 years (baseline): AOR = 2.53, 95% CI = 1.89–3.39
Cook et al., 2016 [26]Highest uptake in 65–69 (male uptake = 71%, p < .001, female uptake = 62%, p < .001) and 70–74 age-groups (male uptake = 68%, p < .001, female uptake = 80%, p < .001)
Dalton et al., 2011 [24]55–64 age-group vs. 35–54 age-group (baseline): AOR = 1.74, 95% CI = 1.34–2.25, p < .001
65–74 age-group vs. 35–54 age-group (baseline): AOR = 2.27, 95% CI = 1.47–3.50, p < .001
Significant age x gender interaction; women in the youngest age-group (35–54 years) more likely to attend than men in the same age category: AOR = 1.71, 95% CI = 1.03–2.85, p = .037
Gidlow et al., 2014 [9]4% increase in likelihood of uptake with each additional year of age: OR = 1.04, 95% CI = 1.03–1.04, p < .001
McDermott et al., 2018 [25]60–74 age group vs. 40–59 age-group (baseline): OR = 1.43, 95% CI = 1.20–1.71, p < .001
Sallis et al., 2016 [21]62% increase in likelihood of uptake with every additional 10 years in age: AOR = 1.62, 95% CI = 1.50–1.75, p < .010
\