▪ Future research should focus on the further examination of existing theories.
▪ Further work is required to identify and explore health behaviour theories most applicable to improving adherence to long-term medications.
▪ Existing health behaviour models should be tested systematically.
▪ Interventions utilising health behaviour theories appropriately need to be developed and trialled.
▪ Reports of interventions to promote adherence to long-term medications for other health issues should be reviewed to explore how these have drawn on health behaviour theories.