Treatment completion and:|
- culture becoming negative on samples taken at the end of treatment and on at least one previous occasion or
- sputum microscopy becoming negative for AFB at the end of treatment and on at least one previous occasion.
|Treatment completed||Treatment completion, not meeting the criteria to be classified as Cured or Failed|
|Death||Death before starting treatment or during treatment, irrespective of cause.|
|Transfer out||Patient referred to another clinical unit for treatment and final outcome unknown|
|Failed||Culture or sputum microscopy remaining positive or becoming positive again at 5 months or later during treatment.|
|Default||Treatment interrupted for 2 consecutive months, or more for reasons due to patient.|
|Physician's decision to stop early||Treatment interrupted for 2 consecutive months, or more due to physician's decision.|
|On treatment at 12 months||
Patient still on treatment at 12 months who did not meet any other outcome during treatment. This includes patients with:|
- initial treatment changed due to polyresistance (ie. resistance to at least two first line drugs) on the isolate taken at the start of treatment.
- treatment prolonged because of side effects/complications
- initial regimen planned for >12 months
- information on the reasons for being still on treatment not available
|Not known||Information on outcome not available, for cases not known to have been transferred|